The fact that more people than ever are living in cities goes hand-in-hand with issues such as pollution and poverty.Read more
Sustainable Cities and Communities
The UN’s SubGoals for sustainable cities and communities
- Provide safe and affordable housing
- Create affordable and sustainable transport systems
- Develop inclusive and sustainable urbanisation
- Protect the world’s cultural and natural heritage
- Reduce the adverse effects of natural disasters
- Build strong national and regional development planning
- Reduce the environmental impact of cities
- Provide access to safe and inclusive green and public spaces
- Implement policies for inclusion, resource efficiency and disaster risk reduction
- Support least developed countries in sustainable and resilient building
How you can help
Commute in a sustainable way – bike, walk or take public transport. Save the car trips for when you’ve got a big group.
Support a project campaigning for safe housing. You can volunteer to help with building social houses, fixing existing ones, setting up public or green spaces.
Shop, eat and drink locally. Supporting neighbourhood businesses keeps people employed and circulates money back into your community.